Aging in Place
How the Internet can Help the Elderly Age in Place
1) Amazon Amazon is an online service from which you can order almost any item imaginable and have it delivered to your house in 1-2 business days. Seniors can order everything from toilet paper and paper towels to a new coffee maker from the comfort from their own home. Often times it can be a big ordeal for seniors to make it from their home to the store so having the convenience to order essential online is a big advantage and often helps seniors age comfortably at their own home. Additionally, if packages ordered on Amazon or another online service are quite heavy, CareBuilders at Home caregivers are more than happy to help seniors get their packages indoors and put away properly.
2) Clothing Subscriptions Driving to the mall of a boutique clothing store can be extremely difficult and tiring. Often the process of trying on clothes and visiting different stores can take the majority of a day. This is process that is enjoyable for some but can be a burden to others. Even when you are in the best health it can be trying to continuously update your wardrobe. At CareBuilders at Home we believe that our clients feel their best when they look their best. That is why one of the online services we suggest for less mobile clients is a clothing subscription. Many of these services hand pick clothes for you based on your size and style preference. They send you a box each month that is filled with clothing picks. You simply keep the items you want and ship back the ones you don’t. You are only charged for the items that you choose to keep. Again, these pieces of clothing come in exactly your clients size so it can save a lot of trouble not having to go to the store each time you need something nice to wear.
3) Pharmacy Delivery Pharmacy delivery is one of the greatest online care services for elderly clients that require a lot of prescriptions every month. Many insurance companies now allow patients to switch all of their medications from in person pick up to automatic online renewal. It can be revolutionary for elderly patients to simply have their medications delivered to their door. CareBuilders at Home Caregivers can work with patients to set up and transfer their prescription to this type of service. This will remove the hassle of having to call and drive to the pharmacy constantly to retrieve medications. This is just one part of the medication compliance that our caregivers can provide assistance with. They can also make sure that all of their clients medications are taken on time and in the correct dose.
4) Book of the month CareBuilders at Home knows the importance of continuing mental stimulation as we age. One geat way that older people can maintain their mental health is by reading. Reading is the equivalent of exercising your brain and has been known to enhance memory and wit. A great online service that ships books right to your home is Book of the Month. This service sends you a hardcover book of your choosing right to your home address. The subscriber gets to choose a book that interests them from a group of hand selected options that change monthly. This is a great option for seniors who don’t get out of the house much because it narrows down the seemingly endless book options to a small list of tailored and thoroughly vetted books. An added benefit is that the books are not virtual. This means that the subscriber still gets the feel of real paper and the smell of new book and little to no eye strain that we experience when reading on screens.
5) Meal boxes A daily activity that can become difficult as we age is shopping for and preparing food. Thankfully, in the digital age there are many delivery services that can help to relieve this burden. For example, there are monthly subscription services, such as blue apron, that deliver fresh ingredients straight to your door. These services reduce waste by containing only the ingredients you need, no more and no less. They make cooking a breeze and shopping non existent. In addition to having these services delivered right to your door, our caregivers can help seniors make the most of them. For example, caregivers can help prepare the meal boxes through their simple instructions, they can read to them from the hand selected books, they can assist them in ensuring their pharmacy deliveries are correct, and they can help your loved one with online maintenance.
In home care and technology can drastically help you and your loved ones live a better life.